24 - Page 10 of 16
|| May 2001
ABANA Anvil Firing Controversy
7 Chapters disenfranchised
The Shot heard around the world! |
Southeast Regional Blacksmith Conference
Continued from page one, The players and definitions
- Anvil Shoot, AKA anvil firing
- Two blacksmiths anvils are placed base to base with one setting face down on the ground.
A charge of black powder is placed between the two anvils in the hollow of the base.
The charge is set off by a fuse and the top anvil is launched into the air with a boom like the report of a large cannon and a cloud of white smoke.
The anvil travels anywhere from a few feet to 50-60 feet in the air depending on the size of the charge.
In modern anvil shooting most shooters have a special setup that includes the anvils regularly used, one is sometimes welded to a steel plate to insure it doesn't tip.
There may also be a fuse support or a guard.
Anvil shooting has been used as a form of fireworks for as long as anyone can remember.
It is said to have started in Europe but has been a long time American Independence Day tradition.
Today only blacksmiths keep this tradition in the U.S.
- Artist Blacksmith Association of North America. Currently the world's largest blacksmithing organization. A non-profit corporation 27 years old.
- Alabama Forge Council (formerly) an ABANA Chapter, A non-profit corporation, organized in local "forges" with the main organization holding several annual events.
- Florida Artist Blacksmith Association (formerly) an ABANA Chapter, A non-profit corporation.
- Southeastern Regional Blacksmiths Convention, officialy Southeastern Convention Inc., a non-profit corporation consisting of board members representing 7 ABANA Chapters.
Alabama Forge Council
The Southeastern Convention Inc., is not an ABANA chapter or affiliated with ABANA. It recieves no funds or seed money from ABANA.
It is a completely independent corporation and its events are not ABANA sponsored events.
Alex Bealer Blacksmith Association
Appalachian Area Chapter
Florida Artist Blacksmith Association
North Carolina Chapter Of Abana
Ocmulgee Blacksmith Guild
Philip Simmons Artist-Blacksmith Guild Of South Carolina
Continued on page 11
CHAPTERS CRISIS FORUM
ABANA chapters policy forum (public)
June 29th - July 1st North Battleford, SK
[ Anvilfire Home
| Guru's Den
| V. Hammer-In
| Slack-Tub Pub
| Power hammer Page
| Touchmark Registry
| What's New!
| Rate Card
| Web Rings
| 21st Century
May 2001 Edition
Comments to: Jock Dempsey firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2001 by Jock Dempsey